Decorating Ideas from Blackish TV Show
I fell in serious like with the hit TV show Blackish this season for two reasons. I’m a fan of the colorful decorating in their home and the show is a great conversation starter. More
It’s a thought I ponder all the time when I’m trying to first discover my clients personality, then help them live who they are in their home decor.
Here’s an example of two rooms in two different homes. In the first home the rooms are a dramatic contrast from one room to the other. In the second home it’s easy to see a flow and continuity from room to room. More
Is it possible to give your bedroom a totally new look without changing the main furniture? Ofcourse!
Here’s what I did to create a serene, inspiring new look for my master bedroom sanctuary without breaking the bank. Since I knew I wasn’t changing out my bed and dressers I concentrated on changing the soft goods that can have a big impact. furniture
Here Are The 5 Elements To Create A Bedroom Sanctuary:
1. Begin With Color – I wanted a serene color palette that was timeless. I chose a peaceful shade of gray that was warm and masculine.
Ellie Gray SW color
I chose earth green as my accent color. Did you know green supports balance, harmony and love?
2. Choose A Great Mattress – You deserve a good nights sleep so invest in a good mattress. I had already upgraded my mattress to a memory foam one last summer because I have bad trouble. You can learn how to buy a new mattress here.
3. Dress The Bed – I love to dress the bed in beauty and luxury. My refresh centered on creating a new set of designer custom made pillows and a quilt that are color coordinated. Also, I bought a new set of luxury cotton sheets to sleep on.
Layer your pillows for a luxurious look. If you can buy pillows with down inserts – they feel and look good.
Custom pillow covers by Elle. Custom color palettes available just contact me – details to buy on instagram.
4. Update Your Lighting – Every bedroom needs to have good lighting which should include l for reading and other tasks as well as overhead lights. I chose a new set of modern lamps for beside the bed to include in my refresh. I love the way they look.
5. Create A Spot For Contemplation – Create a quiet corner in your bedroom other than your bed to sit and read, meditate or curl up and contemplate your thoughts if you have room. I refurbished a lounge chair in my bedroom and it is serving me well as perfect place to relax. You can see the chair transformation here.
I reupholstered this chair and ottoman to create a quiet lounge space.
Bonus Tip: Take time to organize and eliminate – Staying organized is a big challenge. Do yourself a favor by clearing out items you don’t use. Also, I reorganized our nightstands by adding plastic bins inside the drawers. This has made it so much easier to find items we use. Organizations can improve your function and reduce stress.
I love to mix a variety of patterns in a room to tell a color story.
The bedroom is the last place many people decorate, but I believe you owe it to yourself to have a nice place to sleep. Whether you completely redecorate or a simple refresh.
If you’re like me you will spend a lot of time in your bedroom. Why not make the investment to make it a peaceful space that inspires and delights you. If you need help with your transformation contact me.
Until next time …
Outdoor living is hot and it’s time for some new ideas to create your outdoor living space. This week I’m featuring a new series “Ideas to create a Fabulous Outdoors”.
Summertime is the season of entertaining and why not extend your living space outdoors. If you want to live easy outdoors it will require some essentials to make a carefree, entertaining ready outdoor experience. These ideas will inspire you to take your outdoors to the next level or at least do some sprucing up.
Here are some of the top trends in outdoor living:
1. When you don’t have a patio or deck, why not use the walkway?
2. Have a large porch? An outdoor rug will help you define different zones.
3. A large planter is made into a fire pit
4. Metal stools from inside the house are perfect for this bar
5. This coffee table was created with saw houses and a piece of wood. An old door would make a perfect table.
6. A few crates and pillows turn this apartment balcony into a cozy space.
7. This sofa was created from wood pallets turned into a platform with cushions and pillows.
8. A flea market find table and folding chairs with pillows make for a chic french country outdoor eating space.
9. Hang plants or flowers for privacy wall which is great in close urban areas.
10. A few poles, fabric and hooks and you can have a canopy and instant shade.
Hooks added to the house make it easy to attack a canopy.
11. I still love the simplicity and comfort of a hammock.
12. The ultimate kid like outdoors – a swing sofa made for adults. This could be made from pallets and a customer cushions.
I hope this inspired you to start planning your outdoor refresh. Summer will be here before you know it.
And the outside is made for flowers.
Come back this week for my top furniture picks and entertaining tips!
Until next time …
A bathroom or powder room gets a lot of use and are usually small. They make great choices to showcase a unique wallpaper. So why not give your bathroom a big old dose of personality?
Wallpapers come in every color and pattern in the rainbow. Inch for inch adding wallpaper can give any room a big dose of personality and make it an inviting space that’s memorable.
Here are a few of my current favorites that wow a bathroom and pack a big punch:
Love Color – Make a brilliant choice?
Like Geometric Patterns – Try Stripes or Triangles
A Subtle Graphic always in style design by Karyn-R-Millet
Love Tribal Style
Love Natural Elements -will you pick Stone or Marble?
If you’re still on the fence take a look at these options to see if something strikes your fancy.
Want a custom color? Paint it yourself
You can still add personality plus using a stencil (you can easily paint over) or add a temporary option such as a decal or sticker.
Want a DIY semi-permanent option? Try Stencil or Decal
The wall decal behind the mirror is from Blik Design Studio
You might be surprised at what some paint, tape and a stencil can do to mimic the look of wallpaper for a lot less. Stencils are perfect if you want to customize your color palette, you want to DIY, or you’re not ready to make a commitment to wallpaper.
Here’s a look at a stencil you can do on your own. I hear they’re fairly easy to do. I’m going to try one soon so I’ll let you know.
As you can see there are many options to get personality plus in your wallpaper selection for your bathroom, powder room or any other space.
Are you full of ideas yet?
If you need help selecting wallpaper or executing your project I’m here to help virtually or in person. Just reach out to me. As you can see, I’m a wallpaper loving diva!
Until next time …